Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Long Journey Home

December 30 I was released from the hospital, and quickly we headed back home which was a good 5 1/2 hour drive away. I was on some new meds which made me incredibly thirsty so I chugged a good 2 litres down during that drive.

We got to the little town where we were renting a house and I went straight to bed, exhausted. J started packing a few things into the truck, so we could leave the next day for the 12 hour drive across Saskatchewan into Manitoba where we had decided to move in with his mom for the time being. Thankfully all the necessary things we needed fit into the truck, along with us and our 3 cats. We had a roommate living in the house with us to keep an eye on the rest of it until we could get a moving van to haul it all back with us a couple weeks later. So the next day (New Years Eve), we headed out on the long trip hoping to get there at a decent time.

We probably would have, too, if I didn't need to drink so darn much water, we stopped at every single gas station along the way just so I could take a bathroom break! I drank 3 litres of water during the 12 hour drive.

My new medication included Acetazolamide, which was to help with the pressure on my eyes, and was also a diuretic. Warfarin, the blood thinner in pill form that I will be on for the rest of my life. And Hydroxyurea (Hydrea), a pill form of chemotherapy to keep my blood counts normal. All of these caused a lot of fatigue on top of the fact that I'd just spent 3 1/2 weeks with no activity lying in a hospital bed. So I was a pretty tired gal for awhile!

We made it to J's mom's house at 11:50pm. Just before the official New Year began. I didn't stay up till midnight, I was too tired after the long drive, but I did say to myself, that this year would only get better from that point on.

No comments: